[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: imp/lib IMP.php imp compose.php contacts.php fetchmail.php fetchmailprefs.php filters.php folders.php identitie s.php mailbox.php message.php pgp.php prefs.php search.php view.php

Michael M Slusarz slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 12:12:09 -0600

| Oh, now I see the bit in PRINT_MESSAGE that handles that - is that tested
| and working?

Actually, I wasn't quite sure exactly why we had the "don't compress if
using mozilla and printing" in there - I decided to just turn off
compression completely for printing and made a note to myself to
investigate further.  If it is just NS4 that is broken, is there a need to
prevent all mozilla-type browsers from compression?

| I guess it gets three lines out of the main .php files, but how much of a
| gain is that? Does it really make things _easier_ and better organized?
| Or does it hide functionality in a non-obvious way?

It was more of the fact that it is one less thing that you have to add to a
base script.  It seemed to be more of a application wide setting; and since
there was very few instances that we shouldn't compress (only the two cases
in message.php and view.php), it seemes like something that could easily be
done in a method that was called by every script.

The best argument is that, until about a week ago, more than _half_ of the
IMP scripts had no compression whatsoever.  Looks like it was a simple case
that it was plain forgotten when creating new scripts. This new method will
ensure that this won't happen again :) (and if compression turns out to be
non-necessary in a future script, debugging will catch this and the simple
one-line is all that is needed to turn it off).

did i sell you on the idea?

michael

Michael Slusarz [slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu]
The University of Colorado at Boulder