[dev] Delete & Purge

Federico Giannici giannici@neomedia.it
Wed, 03 Jul 2002 14:01:02 +0000

Eric Rostetter wrote:

> Quoting Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck@horde.org>:
>
> > I'm really not so fond of the whole idea - why don't you turn on
> > hide_deleted by default, or use a trash folder, and purge their messages
> > for them?
>
> Well, the problem mentioned to contradict this was that it wouldn't work
> with quotas (they wouldn't know why they were still over quota after
> deleting messages) and the like...

And remember the problem with IMAP servers using filesystem quotas (like
the server I'm using) that prevent users to delete very large files...

> Personally I've not had any problems with this.  But I wouldn't object to
> a "delete+purge" button either.  However I think the better solution is
> training or education for the users.  I realize educating users may not be
> easy for everyone (like it is for me).  So maybe adding "delete+purge"
> would help those who can't or won't take it upon themselves to educate
> their users...

In fact I came to the conclusion that the best solution is to show all
the commands to the users, help them understand how they work and make
them find the commands they prefer.

So, I groupped together all delete-related commands, rearranged the
order of the commands and added a "delete & purge" command. Here is an
image:

     http://www.neomedia.it/horde/deletepurge2.png

I showed the changes to a few not-so-novice users and everybody
appreciated them, particularly the new "purge & delete" command...

Bye,
    __
   |-                      giannici@neomedia.it