[dev] Sessions expires

Thu, 25 Jul 2002 09:34:32 -0500

Quoting Federico Giannici <giannici@neomedia.it>:

> > Check your garbage collection settings in PHP4.  Garbage collection
> > can "clean" out the session, causing the same problem.
>
> The problem still happens, occasionally but happens!

So it is better with a larger setting?

> I have verified that cookies have timeout 0, and I have raised the
> "session.gc_maxlifetime" value to 3600.

In order to help solve this, way back when I set mine to:

session.gc_maxlifetime = 7200           ; garbage collection is now 2 hour
session.gc_probability = 25             ; percentage chance for gc each call

Not sure if that really helps, but it is what I used.

> I'm sure that the problem happens before an our of inactivity (even
> after a few minutes). The client PC clock is correct.

I don't think it means that sessions are killed when they reach
gc_maxlifetime, I think it means at every maxlifetime interval it will
try to cleanup sessions.  Not sure though -- I think I refered you to
www.php.net last time for details?  (Maybe I should look there too)

> The problem is really annoying (the composed mail is irremediably
> lost!), so I have to absolutely solve it!

Yes, that is a problem.  Newer versions of IMP have much better handling
of this.  Each upgrade I've done made this better, and I've not had
any trouble/complaints for a long time now...  (Not like when 3.0 came
out and I was getting *lots* of complaints about this)

> But I have no idea how I can debug it...
> Any suggestion?

What version of Horde and IMP are you using again?

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

harmless among the rank and file, but when management is afflicted the damage