[dev] Praise and questions

Gary Weinreb gweinreb@rocksolidsystems.com
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 17:04:38 -0400

I've been lurking on your lists and playing around with the Horde framework
and various apps for a couple of months or so.
I got:
   Horde 2.1
   Imp 3.1
   Turba 1.1, etc
working just fine with:
   Apache 1.3.26
   MYSQL 3.23.51
   PHP 4.1.2 horde0 rpms (core & modules) on:
   Redhat 7.2

First of all, I'd like to congratulate you folks.  This is truly an
impressively versatile framework with some very nice and useful
applications.  It offers a tremendous amount of functionality and
extensibility, and I very much want to participate in furthering this
project.

I have recently migrated to the CVS versions of the horde stuff, and am
running into some problems.  My PEAR is not up to date, and I can't seem to
successfully upgrade the PEAR module proper, i.e. it shows up in horde.test
as "NOT RECENT", which "pear list" supports, listing  PEAR as 0.91-dev,
beta.  If I follow the test.php link to horde's pear page, and download, I
get a pear-4.1.0.tar.gz, which if I uncompress into /usr/share, replacing
my current pear directory, breaks - it seems to be missing the
PEAR/Frontend files...

Going to pear.php.net, I find that 0.91-dev is the LATEST version of the
pear core package - so what's up?

What version is of PEAR is Horde looking for?

Also, it appears that the CVS versions of some Horde modules (i.e. Turba,
Herrmes) are using conf.xml files INSTEAD of conf.php files, and the
framework returns an error upon attempting to access said modules,
regarding the missing conf.php files...  So, it seems that we are moving
towards XML based configuration, which is great, but I must be missing
something in my PHP configuration if I've used the above PHP rpm.  That's
fine, I can upgarde PHP, and configure it locally, but I seem to need some
modules in addition to the one's mentioned in the horde/INSTALL file, such
as --with-dom, --with-xml, etc.

Am I correct?  And if so, what specific configuration options do the CVS
versions require?

Also, when I try to configure PHP-4.2.2 it exits crying about needing
libxml greater than or equal to version 2.4.2, which also doesn't seem to
exist.

So, could someone please direct me a little...  A few minutes of someone's
time at this point could probably save me hours.

Thanks,
Gary