[dev] Small patch for horde/templates/prefs/select.inc

Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:49:12 -0500

> Quoting Jan Kuipers <jrkuipers@lauwerscollege.nl>:
>
> > I hope this isn't done by using 'active' => false, because this doesn't
> > work for me :) I.e. I want an application be active, but not shown.
>
> Not in any menus? Etc?  ...
>
> -chuck

The "active" addition is great.  I really love it.  Combined with the
"show" attribute it makes things much more flexible.  But there almost
needs to be a third one, and there really needs to be some comments added
to registry.php to describe what these attributes do/control.  (I'll try
to add some comments myself)  Here are three example configs (though I bet
I could come up with more).

Example1:
---------
A normal module, which I want full support for (in my case IMP, NAG, etc).
I set show=true and active=true, and all is fine.  It shows up everywhere!

Example2:
---------
Modules I hide inside others (like "accounts" does for passwd, vacation, etc).
I set show=false, active=true, and all is cool.  It shows up where it is
allowed, but not in the menu, all is cool.

Example3:
---------
I have chora installed, but set "active=true" and "show=false".  I don't want
my normal users knowing it is there, or using it.  It is only for use few
who are actually using cvs for a project.  But instead of installing a second
Horde somewhere, I just put it in the production Horde I already had, but
with "show=false".  I don't want this to show up anywhere at all.  The "show"
attribute keeps it out of the Horde menu, but not from showing up elsewhere
(for example, in the summary page/config if it were to have a summary api).

So, could there be a third attribute to do this function?  And what would
it be called.  I have no idea -- I'm just trying to make a case for this
third possible configuration.  (In truth, I won't be crushed if chora showed
up somewhere -- my main motivation for it now showing is just so people don't
see it and ask what it is).

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

harmless among the rank and file, but when management is afflicted the damage