[dev] Menus with icons...

Rick Emery rick at emery.homelinux.net
Thu Jan 9 10:57:08 PST 2003

> Quoting "Michael J. Pawlowsky" <mikejp at videotron.ca>:
>
> > What I'm hearing from them is they like their icons. So I added the
> > icons.
> >
> > Take a look at: http://www.mikeathome.net:8080/horde/menutest/
>
> This is looking a lot nicer now (works for me in Mozilla, though there are a
> few frameset target issues where I get the left frame twice). I agree with
> some of the concerns posed by Mike & Jan. I'm wary of making it a user
> preference depending on how big the changes are; I can see it becoming easy
> to break whichever view one isn't using.
>
> And it'd be nice to have a non-DHTML solution to this, if not as a default,
> then as a fallback. But I'm intrigued, and it's getting better. If you can
> send some clean patches to the list, we can start looking at making it a
> preference and addressing translation concerns.

I'm not one of the developers, but if you're interested in a user's opinion...

It looks like a great idea. I was thinking; when you click on a menu item, a sub
menu appears (the ability of an admin to choose which apps go on which sub-menu
would be a real plus). When you click on a second item, its sub-menu appears. If
the first sub-menu collapsed when the second item was clicked, that would save a
lot of room.

You might even implement it horizontally along the bottom like the current menu
is (if it's programmatically possible to have the menu expand horizontally). I
prefer the menu at the bottom (or top) because it maximizes the available screen
width for the application.

Rick