[dev] Proposed reorg of some scripts in the horde/ module

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Fri Sep 26 15:49:06 PDT 2003

Quoting Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu>:

> If this is limited to the horde/ module, then I see no need to move everything
> else, as it would then be inconsistent with other apps.  But if you plan
> to redo the other apps also in the future, then that doesn't matter.

Horde is different from other apps, though. I don't plan on reorganizing other
apps unless it's necessary, like the subdirs for news in Jonah. Horde, though,
provides a bunch of services beyond being an app - help.php, maintenance, etc.
- that are, in my opinion, getting a bit unweildy, and util/ is a badly named
place for most of them.

> All the other apps used to have a menu.php.  So this was consistent.  It
> seems we've dropped menu.php from the other apps, so I guess it doesn't
> much matter any more.

Horde's menu.php is the sidebar that's viewed in a different frame. All of the
other apps had menu.php files that were included with every page load; they
were  unnecessary.

> All the other apps have this in the top level.  Why not horde?

Actually, I'd like to have just one prefs.php script at some point, that can
display prefs for all the apps.

> Okay.  But we can do it in smaller chunks if needed, rather than trying to
> do it all at once.  If we (you, I'm too busy to help much) come up with a
> great layout, then move it all.  Otherwise, maybe a piece-meal move towards
> that goal, with that goal in sight, will work and make for less work...

I saw this as an achievable goal, actually. As opposed to what Roman mentioned
being "irked" by.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>