[dev] memcached support for database driven sessions

Michael Yingbull mbull at uoguelph.ca
Mon Dec 22 12:24:10 PST 2003

> Quoting Michael Yingbull <mbull at uoguelph.ca>:
>
> > Has anyone looked at this, out of curiousity?  We found the database
> lookups
> > for sessions quite a bit slower (and not unexpectedly so, to some expect)
> > that using local files for sessions.   I'm wondering if coding the
> memcached
> > support into the session handling library might help.
> >
> > Anyone else been down this road?
> >
> > http://www.danga.com/memcached/
>
> Looks interesting. It hasn't been explored, as far as I know. Seems like it
> could be a good potential backend for several of our libraries - Cache,
> SessionHandler, and Category come to mind.
>
> (it could provide a *very* fast Category backend. Don't know about
> persistance, though).

It's the backend that's used for LiveJournal.com - or rather, part of it.
They were the main development effort behind it by the looks of it.  First I
heard of it was some mention in their lj_dev community.

I think I'll try my hand at a patch for it and see how it'll work.  Just
wanted to ask if anyone had any other thoughts on it, or had given it a go
themselves.

It does look quite nifty.......  what about the persistance are you referring
too?