[dev] IMP: Show localized INBOX-name instead of "INBOX"?

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue Jun 8 09:38:33 PDT 2004

Quoting Malte Wedel <ich at malte.de>:

>> And how do you intend to handle the case where a user *has* a folder of the
>> translated name? Just hide it? Rename it for them?
>
> You can always find broken scenarios, if you want to find them. In

Yes, and it is very easy in this case...  For example, I login and the
default is English.  I send a mail, and it creates a folder called "sent-mail"
for me.  Now I say hey, look, here's how I change my language to French!
Now my "sent-mail" folder is translated in IMP, but not on the system, and
maybe or maybe not in my identity, and, well, chaos rules...  Next thing
it may or may not create a new sent-mail in French, may or may not use one
or the other, I may or may not understand why there are multiple folders
to do the same thing, etc.

In other words, localizing folders becomes a pain as soon as the user
switches languages.

Now, imagine the same situation but I use two different IMAP-based e-mail
clients, that each localize things differently...

> case you describe, I would suggest just to show both folders with the same
> name. Since the internal name is different, imp does not have a problem with

I would hate to see two folders shown with the same name!  How would I know
which was which?  Which mail was in which?  At first glance, I'd surely
think it was a bug and complain about it.

> A question to native english speakers: If the INBOX would not be called INBOX
> but XY6RT2, would you like to explain your users, that XY6RT2 is
> defined in the
> imap protocol and is a reserved name, and it means "Inbox" and they
> have to get
> used to it?

It would beat the current problem where I have to explain why they have
3 different sent-mail, saved-mail, and drafts folders in their account
since the IMP, outlook, Eudora, et al all think these should be called
something different.  I get constant complaints about this (why can't
I find my draft message I created in Outlook in my draft folder from IMP?
Well, because they don't have a standard name for the drafts folder like
they do for your inbox).

> I think if this change makes 90% of users of a localized imp happy,
> and 10% have
> a folder with the same name or do not understand why INBOX is gone,
> it is worth
> it.

Then why is only < 10% complaining about it, and > 50% defending it?

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!