[dev] Initial configuration setup suggestion

Kevin Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Tue May 17 21:22:28 PDT 2005

> It would be indeed quite complicate to implement that with the current
> configuration code. Plus it would be even more complicated to *not*
> cause any unwanted side effects for experienced administrators who
> don't expect any other settings of their existing configuration to
> change if they change the database settings.

I wasn't intending this to be everytime the config was generated.  Just for
initial installs.  I don't want one config setting messing with things behind
the scenes, _after_ I've set things up.  But it would be reasonable for it to
do that during the first time an Administrator logs in.  Which is why I think
initial Horde setup would benefit from a two step process - General and
Database setup, to collect initial values, submit, then use those values to
populate reasonable defaults for all other tabs.

> I went the simpler path and simply added a note in the database section
> that explains this.

I think thats good.  Is there ever a case where you wouldn't configure a
preference backend or a DataTree backend, for a normal Horde installation?  If
not, what about removing the None option and defaulting that to SQL?

The custom session handler tab - is there a reason that the next array element
in $conf[sessionhandler] is 'type', whereas $conf[prefs] elements are
'driver'?
I was trying to figure out how to be able to use the Horde defaults for a SQL
database for the various types of databases, there, because I hate having to
retype that info and would like to be able to just use
$conf[sessionhandler][params][driverconfig]='horde'.  But I can't seem to get
anything to take unless I change 'type' to 'driver' and then that
breaks things
too.

Finally, could all fields where passwords are entered have their input
type set
as password or is there a good reason for echoing the password to the
screen? I'd like to be able to demo configuring a Horde Setup screen to
potential Horde
Administrators, without giving up any passwords, even test or demo accounts.

Kevin

--
Kevin M. Myer
Senior Systems Administrator