[dev] Horde search engine development

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Tue Jun 14 18:36:27 PDT 2005

Quoting Bojan Bedra? <bojan.bedrac at uni-mb.si>:

> I am not sure if this is in the best interes of the project, but to
> involve Lucene ( it's written in JSP), when HORDE is mainly in PHP. This
> would bring many trouble upon a user (administrator) of the HORDE
> framework and modules, because he would have to make his webserver
> support JSP also. I am still considering building a new base (based on
> the mnoGoSearch and Lucene, but written strictly in PHP, to overcome the
> OS dependencies issue and the language differency issue).

We wouldn't want someone to have to use a JSP interface, no. I believe
there's a C version of Lucene, though, which might be more appropriate.
And as long as the web interface is in PHP, having a backend process in
another language may be acceptable. If it's possible to have the whole
thing written in PHP without performance tradeoffs, then yes, that's
great. However if the tradeoff is having to maintain another codebase
instead of just using, say, the C lucene codebase, that might not be
ideal. Perhaps writing a PHP interface to the C lucene libraries might
be the best bet?

-chuck

Quincy Adams