[dev] Horde search engine development

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 18:45:29 PDT 2005

On 6/14/05, Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org> wrote:
> Quoting Bojan Bedra? <bojan.bedrac at uni-mb.si>:
>
> > I am not sure if this is in the best interes of the project, but to
> > involve Lucene ( it's written in JSP), when HORDE is mainly in PHP. This
> > would bring many trouble upon a user (administrator) of the HORDE
> > framework and modules, because he would have to make his webserver
> > support JSP also. I am still considering building a new base (based on
> > the mnoGoSearch and Lucene, but written strictly in PHP, to overcome the
> > OS dependencies issue and the language differency issue).
>
> We wouldn't want someone to have to use a JSP interface, no. I believe
> there's a C version of Lucene, though, which might be more appropriate.
> And as long as the web interface is in PHP, having a backend process in
> another language may be acceptable. If it's possible to have the whole
> thing written in PHP without performance tradeoffs, then yes, that's
> great. However if the tradeoff is having to maintain another codebase
> instead of just using, say, the C lucene codebase, that might not be
> ideal. Perhaps writing a PHP interface to the C lucene libraries might
> be the best bet?

I'm 99.9% sure that Lucene doesn't use JSP at all, except for a demo
application that interacts with the engine and displays search
results. Check out the source tarball for yourself (from a mirror
site): http://www.eng.lsu.edu/mirrors/apache/jakarta/lucene/lucene-current.tar.gz

Also, I believe the only release of Lucene is written in Java so I
don't think there is a    C port. However, I am fairly less confident
about that (it's a bit harder to verify).

--
Matt Warden
Miami University