[dev] [cvs] commit: ingo/lib/Template Template.php

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Mon Dec 18 11:09:45 PST 2006

> The Horde_Template has been BC-broken for a very long time (at least
> a year).  When I fixed the behavior to allow ifs/loops/scalars beyond
> the first level, it broke BC.  That's why any app that has templates
> that use these tags need their own copy (see, e.g., IMP).
>
> Originally, only _parseLoop() was needed to maintain BC.  But now
> _parseLoop() calls new private functions inside of it, so we need the
> whole file (actually, we probably don't need the whole file, but it
> will be easier to maintain).

Right... but because the entire template class wasn't merged to Ingo
beforehand, now people who upgrade Horde _do_ have BC broken.
Horde_Template may have been broken before, but Ingo was still BC
because fixes were ported to it.

I don't see any great options, unfortunately. We can remove the new
template code, or we can just say that you need a certain version of
Ingo in each branch if you want to use it with Horde HEAD/3.2. There
are plenty of good performance reasons to keep the new template code,
so I'm inclined to, but we'll need to clearly document the ingo
version requirements.

-chuck