[dev] [cvs] commit: CVSROOT avail

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed Nov 21 15:08:56 UTC 2007

Zitat von Duck <duck at obala.net>:

>> > Sure.
>>
>> Don't overdo caching data. Don't cache for caching's sake. If at the
>> end of the day you find out that performance is not as good as it
>> could be, you can still see if caching helps. But a properly designed
>> application that doesn't rely on external data rarely needs caches.
>>
>> Jan.
>
> Having more then 800 queries per second in average (73% of them are selects)
> on my SQL server even while using cached applications and seeing big site
> like face books, yahoo etc. having dedicated memcaced servers I cannot join
> your opinion. Is not just a matter of performance but more about load
> balancing.

I don't say that caching doesn't have its merits, though this has
nothing to do with load balancing IMO. What I'm saying is, that
caching should only be used if it can help improving an *identified*
bottle neck. Planning a cache for internal data before the development
even has started, let alone has been proved to have poor performance
doesn't make sense. Especially for an application like Scry which is
supposedly not going to be an every-day all-the-time used application
by the average user. We are not talking about a webmail or CMS
application here. It would only add unnecessary complexity for little
benefit.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/