[dev] strange issue previewing new inbox messages with dimp

Robert Williams rjwill at seas.upenn.edu
Wed Feb 18 17:25:32 UTC 2009

Hello All,

I mentioned this on the horde irc channel and was asked to post this info
to the dev list, so here it is.

using horde 3.3.3, imp 4.3.3, dimp 1.1.1

When attempting to preview a NEW message in the INBOX, the preview would
never load and the "busy/working" icon would never go away. Clicking away
from the message and back again was the only way it would load. It also
would load on every attempt after (seems once the NEW flag was removed).
Previewing of NEW messags under Mail/ folders worked fine.

On the backend we are using dovecot imap; Maildir format INBOX with mbox
format folders under Mail/. For some years we have used imp with the same
backend and the following config:

'imap_config' => array(
    'children' => true,
    'namespace' => array(
            'Mail/' => array(
                    'name' => 'Mail/',
                    'delimiter' => '/',
                    'type' => 'personal',
                    'hidden' => false
            ),
    ),
    'search_charset' => array(
            'UTF-8' => true
    )
)

I wanted to eliminate Maildir as a potential problem, so I removed the
imap_config stanza above from our config (which forces the client to use
default Maildir/ folders) and the inbox preview problem went away, and
previewing new messages in Maildir folders worked as well.

I finally added our old Mail/ namespace back and added a new namespace
definition for INBOX (dovecot/Maildir style):

'namespace' => array(
        'INBOX' => array(
        'name' => 'INBOX',
        'delimiter' => '.',
        'type' => 'personal',
        'hidden' => false
        ),

and this fixed the "inbox new message preview" issue. I wish I could post
further details (imap chatter) but I don't have imapproxy installed on my
test machine which would keep that imap process alive and make it more
easily traceable.

--
Robert Williams
rjwill at seas.upenn.edu
School of Engineering and Applied Science
University of Pennsylvania