[dev] [cvs] commit: horde/docs LICENSES horde/services/csstidy class.csstidy.php class.csstidy_optimise.php class.csstidy_print.php data.inc.php

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed Apr 8 16:31:40 UTC 2009

>>> For GPL'd elements included in Horde (or other apps): we should
>>> probably have a location on a horde server where we can keep the
>>> original tarball of the distributed code in order to be GPL
>>> compliant (i.e. if someone were to ever ask us for the source code).
>>
>> Not sure if this is necessary, they can alway get the source from
>> CVS/Git. We only have to make it available, and we do this through our
>> public repositories.
>
> Good point.  2 comments on this approach:
> 1.) I was trying to be overly cautious since some have argued that
> the GPL license applies to the entire distribution, rather than an
> individual file/code section.

That would affect the groupware bundles too.

> 2.) This approach makes the most sense - we (I) just need to
> remember to import the entire unchanged file into git first, and
> then make any local modifications (if necessary) in a separate
> commit.  Don't know if there is a place to document this or if this
> is something we just need to self-police.

Well, first of all we should try to *not* modify the code. :-) If we
want to make the code a part of Horde, i.e. we don't want track the
external code by refreshing our version with external updates, then we
should try to ask the original author whether we can integrate his
code under our own license and copyright. As a final resort we do it
like you said. I'm not sure if this has to be written down, I'm fine
with having that as an unwritten policy.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/