[dev] Growler fade effect

Ben Klang ben at alkaloid.net
Wed May 19 18:04:40 UTC 2010

On May 19, 2010, at 12:42 PM, Jan Schneider wrote:

> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:

>>> It makes more sense now that I see the rationale behind it.
>>>
>>> There is still a major problem with this: if you want to do anything with the notification, e.g. closing it or clicking an embedded link, or using an embedded form, it's next to impossible now to do any of this, because you can hardly see any notification elements anymore.
>>> The reason you mention are valid, but that one is a showstopper.
>>
>> Possible solutions:
>> 1. Give notifications some transparency at all times.
>> 2. Don't make as transparent over mouseover.
>
> How would that help? Either the transparency is too small to read the text below it, or too high to read the text inside. Beside that, I'm fine with a slight default transparency.
>
> FWIW, we already have transparency in the SAPO theme for Kronolith, and it's even worse there, so much that they've turned off transparency completely (with or without hover).

I haven't seen the effect directly yet, so pardon my ignorance, but...would a compromise be that you can click anywhere on the notification (other than a link in the notification text) to dismiss the notification?  If the convenience issue is that you don't want to have to find the "close" control, this might be a working solution.

/BAK/