[dev] ActiveSync with Nokia MfE - Strange Problem in Horde_Auth_Base

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Thu May 27 15:39:15 UTC 2010

Quoting Lukas Gradl <horde at ssn.at>:

> On 2010-05-27 17:13, Michael Rubinsky wrote:
>>

>> Actually, before I go too much further, let's test this theory. In
>> horde/rpc.php, line 40 should be $session_control = 'none'; Comment out
>> or remove that line, and try again with MfE...
>
> OK, tried that and we get one step further.
>
> Now the sync starts, the ActiveSync-Log shows the correct amount of
> contacts to sync (397) and starts sending contacts. I can see the
> Contact-Details in the log.

Ok. So the main issue now is that some devices do not support cookies,
and when cookies are unavailable, our Auth code tries to use the
session_id as the secret key. I don't think the proper fix for this is
to enable sessions for AS requests though, as that would incur a lot
of overhead considering how many and how frequent the AS requests
could be. There is no other session storage requirement from AS's
point of view. I think we need to figure out another key to use in the
circumstances, if this is possible.

> But they don't reach the phone. After some time I get:
>
> INFO: [IMEI353659010206569] Exported maxItems of messages: 50 - more
> available.
>
> and
>
> DEBUG: [IMEI353659010206569] Saving state for synckey
> {ca4c73ee-1253-47c5-95ba-89c8d4a26f94}2
>
> and the last line in log is:
>
> INFO: User user logged off

These are all normal and expected responses. Devices can limit the
number of contacts ("messages" in AS speak), that are allowed to be
sent in a single session. Horde keeps track of the messages that have
yet to be sent and sends them during the subsequent SYNC requests. You
can verify that *this* part is at least working by looking at the
horde_activesync_state table, in the 'data' field. That should contain
the data for the 'missing' contacts.

It could be that a php error has made it to the wbxml stream, or that
the device doesn't properly support the 'moreavailable' tag or..? I
would check the server error log for any errors - and a network trace
in this case would probably be helpful.