[dev] [commits] Horde branch master updated. b2861a78cba958722b201eccbd1354548b7f625e

Gunnar Wrobel p at rdus.de
Tue Aug 24 05:46:22 UTC 2010

> Quoting Gunnar Wrobel <p at rdus.de>:

>>> Why not naming it Horde_Package then? Seems more intuitive, and
>>> Horde_Element is really too generic IMO. We already have
>>> Horde_Xml_Element for example.
>>
>> Sure, Horde_Package describes what the package should do (or is
>> doing). I was just searching for something that sounds better.
>
> I agree with Jan that Horde_Element is too vague. I'm also not sure
> that this should actually be a framework library, vs. an actual app.
> An app called Elements (or components, or whatever) would be less
> confusing imo.

Ah, an application makes sense. Guess my tendency to place anything
that is a PEAR package into framework/ is too strong.

So in case I manage to further develop the package into something that
manages/displays the "Horde elements/components" what would be your
favorite name to go with? I'd prefer "Horde Elements" over "Horde
Components" but I guess there might be other alternatives.

>> I think that the packages in the Horde framework provide very
>> valuable tools that have been underrated while being part of Horde
>> 3. Of course this was in part due to the fact that the packages
>> were not as independent as they can be. Something that has improved
>> a lot in Horde 4.
>
> Absolutely agreed.
>
>> And what I'd like to see for Horde 4 is that we improve on the
>> visibility of those components. I'm thinking in the direction of
>> http://components.symfony-project.org/
>
> I like the idea. We sort of went there already with
> http://dev.horde.org/routes/, for example.

Ah, I think I once saw that page but it was a long time ago. How do we
generate it?

Cheers,

Gunnar