[dev] topbarUpdate AJAX request

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Tue Oct 23 16:01:00 UTC 2012

> I notice a topbarUpdate AJAX request that runs every so often.  What
> is the reasoning behind this?  AFAICT, none of the menu items ever
> change.

They do, though I have removed any dynamic updates that are prone to
delay the topbar loading too much. Hermes' stop watches appear
dynamically for example.
Another reason is a periodic ping to keep the session active.

> It seems that the only way these menu items would change would be if
> someone edited the registry.  And we have never supported this in
> authenticated sessions.

No, it's basically what used to be the sidebar, and the menu items are
provides by Horde_Registry_Application#topbar(), so they could change
any time if the application sees fit.

> If it really is needed, it would seem to make more sense to somehow
> flag the topbarUpdate system to force an update (e.g., most AJAX
> ignore the data).

I don't understand what you mean by that. Are you talking about
partial menu tree updates?

--
Jan Schneider
The Horde Project