[dev] topbarUpdate AJAX request

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Oct 23 20:37:20 UTC 2012

> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:
>
>> If it really is needed, it would seem to make more sense to somehow
>> flag the topbarUpdate system to force an update (e.g., most AJAX
>> ignore the data).
>
> I don't understand what you mean by that. Are you talking about
> partial menu tree updates?

No.  I mean there should be a flag that indicates when the topmenu
should be rebuilt.  The flag defaults to on - on the first topbar
request it is switched off.  Further topbar polling requests would
immediately return if this flag remains off.  I will agree that the
AJAX polling request must continue.

It would not be that hard for an application to flag a topbar update.
The circumstances within an application that would cause it to alter
its menu should be easy to isolate; menu items don't normally change
during a session unless some significant event happens. (As a nuclear
option, an application could always trigger the menu to be rebuilt,
but I don't see any reason why this needs to happen on a practical
matter.

If right now no applications are actually dynamically changing the
menu, this change is beneficial.  And it doesn't prevent a future
change in an application to allow it to start dynamically changing the
menu as needed.

We are doing a lot of work for something that, at least in my
experiences, never changes (or doesn't change the vast majority of
time).

michael