[dev] Horde View

Sebastian Birnbach birnbacs at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 08:19:28 UTC 2015

Dear all,

I am trying to work my way up to writing an app for Horde. I see my
programming skills got a bit rusty over the years so please forgive my
stupid questions.

Encouraged by the information that templates are no longer supported and
starting from http://wiki.horde.org/Doc/Dev/Horde_View, I am playing with
Horde Views.

1.) The template "decides" what of data of the provided model will be
displayed and how. Shouldn't Helpers therefore be added in the template?

2.) In order to display a form I need Horde_View_Helper_Form (say, for a
radiobutton) and Horde_View_Helper_Form_Builder (for the submit button).
Why are these components in different helpers? Every form needs a submit
button, doesn't it? Also, I can't seem to get the submit() method to work,
somehow the Form_Builder behaves different from the Form class.

3.) I have a hard time finding examples for the usage of Horde Views. Are
thre any examples around? I keep 'grep'ping my installation up and down but
find nothing useful. As templates are no longer supported, Views should be
a bit more popoular that it appears.

A word on documentation in general:

it is either me or the higher level Horde documentation is quite
nonexistent. I hazard to say that a lot more developers would work with
horde if the concepts were documented a little better. That is: Howtos,
where to start, using libraries, sample code, brief overviews. The deeper I
delve into the framework, the more I have the impression of a well-designed
product and a capable developing crew. It's just that the area between
installing/administering Horde and understanding the last bit of the last
lib is rather extensive and the landmarks are too few for me. I am sure
that some PR on the doc side could bring you tons of Horde developers.

Thanks

  Sebastian