[dev] Horde_Rpc with large data

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Thu Feb 16 16:10:05 UTC 2017

Quoting Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de>:

> Hallo,
>
> I had some use cases where Horde_Rpc sent or received large data. It
> seems there is some hard limit in xmlrpc around 8-9 mb of xml data
> where it simply fails.

Can you provide more detail about this? I.e., any idea what exactly is
failing, or where? What exactly happens when it fails?

> If I explicitly call jsonrpc instead of the default xmlrpc, I can
> transmit much mure data as Rpc arguments. However, the return value
> of jsonrpc seems to be bare Objects, where xmlrpc returns array with
> the same parameters.
>
> Now I wonder what would be the intended Behaviour of Horde_Rpc if no
> explicit rpc protocol is given. Should it switch to jsonrpc if the
> xml is too large for xmlrpc or should it send a meaningful exception?

Not sure how we wouldn't have an explicit protocol? At least in
current stable, the protocol is chosen based on the Content-Type
header of the request. If there is no Content-Type header, we default
to WebDav since rpc.php is the same entry point.