[doc] Wiki

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu May 29 12:30:54 PDT 2003

> did anybody ever thought about replacing our FAQ by a Wiki or perhaps even
> put all our documentation in an online Wiki?

No discussion on this since I've been around.  But a lot of discussion about
changing the faq to something...  No one seems happy with the current
faq setup.

Not sure it would be appropriate for most other docs...  But maybe for
the faq...

> I know this still requires some work on our side to make sure that no bogus
> or wrong information ends up there, but I think most of our users are sys
> admins that know what they are doing, and it would have saved us a lot of
> time if all the useful information that is buried inside the mailing list
> archives could be found aggregated on a webpage.

First, the amount of bogus info on the list is still very high, so I think
bogus info would find its way in.  But also, as you say, more info would make
it in.

Biggest problem right now is no one submits material for the faq.  Everyone
wants stuff added, but no one provides the matterial to add.  I'll gladly
add faq entries sent to me.  I'll even clean them up, fix them, etc.  But
I can't write them in most cases (e.g. everyone wants an entry for setting
up multiple virtual hosts....  I don't run virtual hosts, so I'm not about
to write one...  The stuff on the list is not confirmed, not organized, etc.

> Opinions?

Yes :)

--
Eric Rostetter