[giapeto] Giapeto, FastTemplate, Horde, etc.

Marko Djukic marko at oblo.com
Wed Oct 8 10:18:04 PDT 2003

Quoting "Kyrian (List)" <kyrian-list at orenet.co.uk>:

> I'm wondering if its planned for Giapeto to be able to perform the
> functionality of FastTemplate or similar,

Not sure since I'm not familiar with FastTemplate. Giapeto does use the
Horde_Template class which is based on bTemplate code.

> as well as be compatible with
> the Horde components (even if that's only on a per-content-cell basis,
> ie. only variable parsing, OR PHP code parsing)?

It is fully compatible with the other Horde components where the components have
a Horde_Block to insert into a Giapeto cell.

> The crux of the issue being that FastTemplate doesn't parse native PHP
> code in its templates (nor does the more up-to-date version
> class.rFastTemplate), whereas the Horde templating system relies on
> this being done, and it also relies on the code-parsed content
> templates sharing the same variable scope, which definitely doesn't
> happen under FastTemplate.

Again, not familiar at all with FastTemplate so I'm afraid I'm not following
you. Horde_Template doesn't support PHP, but then the whole idea how Giapeto is
set up is that the graphic designers do not need to know about PHP at all, they
make html pages as they see fit, adding a few xml style tags where they want
the Giapeto content to appear.
Giapeto provides a basic set of content tags, you can get real fancy adding your
own set of additional tags in the Horde hooks file.

> Also, as a result of the above, I may be able to find a significant
> amount of time and perhaps other resources to Giapeto development,

Cool! That would be great.

> if
> needed (discussion of that can be taken off this -archived- list
> though).

Please keep it to the list for the benefit of all, plus you are likely to get
quicker responses from the list.

Marko