[giapeto] Re: giapeto Digest, Vol 18, Issue 1

Kyrian (List) kyrian-list at orenet.co.uk
Wed Oct 8 12:32:57 PDT 2003

All,

> > I'm wondering if its planned for Giapeto to be able to perform the
> > functionality of FastTemplate or similar, as well as be compatible
> > with the Horde components (even if that's only on a per-content-cell
> > basis, ie. only variable parsing, OR PHP code parsing)? Hence
> > solving this client's problems. Also, I think I would find it very
> > useful myself;)
>
> Actually, Giapeto uses Horde_Template, which doesn't parse PHP code.
> It's mostly based on bTemplate, and should meet your needs.

Right.

Googling and poking around in Horde 3.0CVS doesn't reveal any
Horde_Template *user* documentation, but looking at the bTemplate
documentation (*), it should indeed do what is needed with variable
substitution, etc. it's just a matter of changing the variable
delimiters, I believe from:

{VARNAME}

<tag:VARNAME />

To make their existing templates work with Horde_Template, which should
be fairly easy to do in an automated way.

I really like the idea of cloop & case within the CMS meta-language. :)

Not bothered really about the lack of documentation because you can only
get class.FastTemplate's documentation out of Google's Cache (#) :( And
I know that Giapeto documentation will come along eventually, one way or
another ;)

> > Also, as a result of the above, I may be able to find a significant
> > amount of time and perhaps other resources to Giapeto development,
> > if needed (discussion of that can be taken off this -archived- list
> > though).
> That'd be great! Anything that shouldn't be public/archived can be
> sent to core at horde.org, but please try and keep as much as possible on
> either this list or dev at lists.horde.org.

Okeydokes.

For now, lets just say the offer's there, and see if any concrete need
comes up. It might well be that the best thing to do is for me to
contribute userland documentation to the project?

My client (BCC'd) has said that they are happy to trial Giapeto, and
they use their existing CMS rather extensively, so it could all work out
very mutually beneficial.

> > If I'm in error with any assumptions here, do please correct me, and
> > indeed, if there are any stopgap solutions that might be useable to
> > my client until Giapeto reaches a first release, I'd appreciate info
> > on those too.
> If there's anything you need aside from a different template solution,
> it'd be useful to hear it.

I'm sure the process of "playing" with Giapeto will yield many questions
:-)

> > as well as be compatible with
> > the Horde components (even if that's only on a per-content-cell
> > basis, ie. only variable parsing, OR PHP code parsing)?
>
> It is fully compatible with the other Horde components where the
> components have a Horde_Block to insert into a Giapeto cell.

Hence the need for recent CVS of everything until the next major
horde/IMP re-release...

> > The crux of the issue being that FastTemplate doesn't parse native
> > PHP code in its templates (nor does the more up-to-date version
> > class.rFastTemplate), whereas the Horde templating system relies on
> > this being done, and it also relies on the code-parsed content
> > templates sharing the same variable scope, which definitely doesn't
> > happen under FastTemplate.
>
> Again, not familiar at all with FastTemplate so I'm afraid I'm not
> following you. Horde_Template doesn't support PHP, but then the whole
> idea how Giapeto is set up is that the graphic designers do not need
> to know about PHP at all, they make html pages as they see fit, adding
> a few xml style tags where they want the Giapeto content to appear.
> Giapeto provides a basic set of content tags, you can get real fancy
> adding your own set of additional tags in the Horde hooks file.

*nods*

I'm pretty sure this can be worked around as long as Giapeto supports,
or will soon support the current major horde components (IMP, Kronolith,
Turba, etc.).

Is it safe to say that there won't be an official release (or beta
release) of Giapeto until the next official release of Horde itself
(3.0?)? Which will shortly be followed by releases of the above major
components? "I couldn't possibly comment" is a valid answer ;-)

Yours,

Kev.

*) http://www.massassi.com/bTemplate/index.php?page=docs&section=intro

#) -- give or take linewrap --

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cache:AuvAhDRrHNQJ:www.thewebmasters.net/php/FastTemplate.phtml+class.FastTemplate&hl=en&start=1&ie=UTF-8

--
Kev Green, aka Kyrian.       "Be excellent to each other" -- Bill & Ted.
   Email: kyrian&#64;ore.org              Web: http://kyrian.ore.org/