[gollem] Is Gollem development active?

Chris Carter chris.carter at ebunda.com
Tue Apr 29 22:51:19 PDT 2003

> I don't quite follow what you're getting at ; webdav is a
> protocol. We need a client for it - or are you talking more
> about implementing a server?
>
> For a server, there were some interesting ideas about using
http://pear.php.net/package-info.php?pacid=179 to do a webdav
implementation of our general RPC support, which is certainly possible,
but outside the scope of Gollem.

For client side, I was thinking of using
http://lwest.free.fr/doc/php/lib/index.php3?page=net_http_client&lang=en
to implement a Horde_VFS_webdav driver, which Gollem could use.

-chuck

Perhaps I should restructure my thoughts (please forgive me if I am
teaching how to suck eggs):

'DMS' stands for Document Management System. A Document is (IMHO) a file
(could be executable, data, image, video, etc.) with a series of
attributes associated to it.

Document Management involves a series of functions:
	- Version (and possibly Revision) control.
	- Check-in/Check-out (lock, no-lock, exclusive, etc.).
	- Document life cycle management (eg: draft, proposed, approved,
effective, cancelled).
	- Content identification (size, type, text in file, etc.).
	- Audit trail (who did what and when).

Note there is a certain similarity with CVS applications up to a certain
point.

These functions provide easy means for searching (eg: "I want the
current version of the Backup and Restore procedure, and I don't care
what version number it is", or "find all employees with SAP experience",
or "who approved this task"). Personally, I think the concept of
document should be implemented at the Horde layer and made available to
other apps (Krono, Mneno, etc.) - each with its own specific life cycle.

WebDAV is a protocol. MS-Windows already provides a client to that
protocol. There is a module available for Apache that implements the
protocol on the Webserver side. I imagine that other webservers also
support WebDAV. The question is, in light of the above, how would Gollem
interface with the WebDAV protocol?

My vision is that Gollem users can use these features either through the
Web interface or WebDAV in order to check-in/check-out documents
(files). Some features would only be available through the Web interface
(eg: changing life cycle stage). The Gollem backend should take care of
the rest.

In order to successfully implement all this, there must be some
interaction between Gollem and WebDAV (eg: file locks in check-out
through the Web interface should also reflect in WebDAV). This is where
there might be some specific development for different WebDAV
implementations.

I see the Web interface and WebDAV (through its Windows embedded
Webfolder client interface) as different means to talk to Gollem (other
interfaces might be developed in future). "Interfaces" may provide more
or less Gollem features depending on their capabilities.

Writing special webdav clients for Gollem that sit in the users' machine
is beyond my proposal.

Cheers!
Chris

---