[gollem] Is Gollem development active?

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Tue Apr 29 17:10:31 PDT 2003

Quoting Chris Carter <chris.carter at ebunda.com>:

> 'DMS' stands for Document Management System. A Document is (IMHO) a file
> (could be executable, data, image, video, etc.) with a series of
> attributes associated to it.

Ah, k.

> Personally, I think the concept of document should be implemented at the
> Horde layer and made available to other apps (Krono, Mneno, etc.) - each
> with its own specific life cycle.

While I can see how that would be a powerful, this being a volunteer
project, you'll have to back that up with a decent amount of code for it to
gain traction. :)

> WebDAV is a protocol. MS-Windows already provides a client to that
> protocol. There is a module available for Apache that implements the
> protocol on the Webserver side. I imagine that other webservers also
> support WebDAV. The question is, in light of the above, how would Gollem
> interface with the WebDAV protocol?
>
> My vision is that Gollem users can use these features either through the
> Web interface or WebDAV in order to check-in/check-out documents
> (files). Some features would only be available through the Web interface
> (eg: changing life cycle stage). The Gollem backend should take care of
> the rest.

It sounds like what you want is the Webdav server support that I mentioned.
My basic idea for this is that we use that Webdav server class to implement
a RPC_webdav class for Horde. This class would know how to map webdav
requests to a certain set of Horde API methods.

Gollem would then implement those API methods, and know how to make then
Gollem file repository available through that webdav API.

We could also then have other Horde apps know how to understand that same
API, so that Mnemo could present notepads as folders and notes as files,
etc.

This will take some work all around, but sounds quite cool and very
powerful. You'll also probably want to extend the capabilities of the
VFS_sql driver, at the least, to provide some of the lifecycle/document
search/etc capabilities that you've mentioned. I have no problems with the
VFS classes providing different feature levels; they just have to advertise
their capabilities in a way that Gollem, and other client programs, can
adjust accordingly.

> Writing special webdav clients for Gollem that sit in the users' machine
> is beyond my proposal.

No one has suggested it, either...

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
The alligators were there, too, in a bathtub inside the house.