[gollem] Dropbox-type file sharing

Matthew mw at robotmouse.com
Thu Jan 23 08:47:54 UTC 2014

On 22/01/14 19:18, Michael M Slusarz wrote:
>> I'm using Gollem so that folk can browse SMB shares on my server; it
>> works fine. I've not really investigated the folder sharing feature
>> of Gollem; suspect it may not work well on an SMB back end, but it's
>> not a big deal; the things that need sharing are on shared, er,
>> shares anyway.
>>
>> What I'd like to do, though, is provide a way to link to
>> individualfiles rather than emailing them. Folk often have trouble
>> with size-related bouncebacks; many receiving MTAs have a size limit
>> of eg 10mb, so I'd like a way of getting a link to download a file,
>> that can be sent in an email will work for anyone without having to
>> log in. Similar to eg Dropbox.
>
> See the commit message:
>
> https://github.com/horde/horde/commit/901a6a1ae698fd44db419d41a975841a60d66780
>

> IMP has been designed to easily allow someone to write a local
> attachment storage driver to accomplish this.  Now it doesn't exist
> yet, but doesn't require any changes to the internal IMP code.

Michael, thanks for the reply. This looks very interesting! I'm a PHP
dev also (but nothing quite as involved as Horde...) so I'll try to
figure out how to do this. Just wondering:

* This code isn't in my imp, which I installed recently via PEAR. What's
the best/easiest/recommended way to pull that through - just download
imp/ at that point and replace mine? Or would that it require any
changes to the core Horde libs also?

* Where would I put my local storage backend (eg my
Vfs_Local_Cloud_Storage) so it can be found - in imp/lib?

* Would there be any way of the user choosing whether to link the
attachment? I wouldn't want to do it for all attachments, only large ones...

I'm still also interested in fetching a URL to a file from Gollem,
though - as users are often using eg Thunderbird/Mail.app etc so I'd
like to let them paste a URL in - I'll look into this more too...

Thanks again
Matthew