[hermes] Can times be shared with other users?

Edwin Culp eculp at encontacto.net
Sun Aug 8 06:01:38 PDT 2004

Quoting "Jason M. Felice" <jfelice at cronosys.com>:

> On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 07:10:52AM -0500, Edwin Culp wrote:
>> I'm giving hermes a try again and I'm really starting to like it.
>>  I haven't been able to find a way to share time information with
>> others working on the same projects.  Is this currently possible?
>
> If you give everyone the "review time" permission (it's the only
> permission available for wicked), they will be able to search (and edit)
> other people's time so long as the time is marked as submitted, but not
> marked as exported.

I was finally able to get the global permissions to set.  They
weren't available when     'status' => 'admin',  even though I
am the admin.  I changed it to active and set some permissions.
  I can't find the "review time" permission that you mention
although I haven't really looked in wicked, I'm assuming that
was a typo.;) .  When I submit or I should say try to submit
nothing happens and the database doesn't change.  When I enter
as another user that now has global permissions to review my
times, I see nothing because it hasn't been submitted but I do
get an "Hora para eculp at worldinternet.org no enviada" at the
top.  I assume would be time for eculp at worldinternet.org not
sent or something similar. ( I'm a bad translator.:)  I can add
times for any user but can't submit them.

Is "review time" a menu option or a permission?

> That's sort of a kludge, the "review time" permission is supposed to be
> for managers to review time and whoever processeses invoices to export
> the time.  I'm curious--I'd like to know more specifically what you are
> after.  Why do employees see each other's time?

Jason, here is my short answer ;).  First of all I disdain the
word "employee".:)
We work on projects in groups and need to know our real costs,
productivity, who is doing what, etc.  It will in a way be a
partial log for a project.   I'm also hoping that it will have
some of the phycological advantages of peer review, discussion,
etc. as in opensource development.   I'm hoping that all this
will come together with whups, thor and maybe even juno and
rakim (that I think is awesome.).

Why must things as basic as time spent in a company be secret?
What could the advantages be for anyone?  I can think of none.
We all need to realize that time isn't important but creativity,
productivity, quality and customer satisfaction are.

Thanks,

ed