[hermes] Can times be shared with other users?

Jason M. Felice jfelice at cronosys.com
Sun Aug 8 08:45:40 PDT 2004

On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 08:01:38AM -0500, Edwin Culp wrote:
> Quoting "Jason M. Felice" <jfelice at cronosys.com>:
>
> >On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 07:10:52AM -0500, Edwin Culp wrote:
> >>I'm giving hermes a try again and I'm really starting to like it.
> >> I haven't been able to find a way to share time information with
> >>others working on the same projects.  Is this currently possible?
> >
> >If you give everyone the "review time" permission (it's the only
> >permission available for wicked), they will be able to search (and edit)
> >other people's time so long as the time is marked as submitted, but not
> >marked as exported.
>
> I was finally able to get the global permissions to set.  They
> weren't available when     'status' => 'admin',  even though I
> am the admin.  I changed it to active and set some permissions.
>  I can't find the "review time" permission that you mention
> although I haven't really looked in wicked, I'm assuming that
> was a typo.;) .

Heh, that's where my brain was.

> When I submit or I should say try to submit
> nothing happens and the database doesn't change.  When I enter
> as another user that now has global permissions to review my
> times, I see nothing because it hasn't been submitted but I do
> get an "Hora para eculp at worldinternet.org no enviada" at the
> top.  I assume would be time for eculp at worldinternet.org not
> sent or something similar. ( I'm a bad translator.:)  I can add
> times for any user but can't submit them.

We have some issues here I haven't been able to track down about it not
working when we aren't administrators.  I haven't had a chance to
investigate.  I assume it's related to changes in tubra, or in the Horde
registry.

> Is "review time" a menu option or a permission?
> >
> >That's sort of a kludge, the "review time" permission is supposed to be
> >for managers to review time and whoever processeses invoices to export
> >the time.  I'm curious--I'd like to know more specifically what you are
> >after.  Why do employees see each other's time?
>
> Jason, here is my short answer ;).  First of all I disdain the
> word "employee".:)

Interesting.

> We work on projects in groups and need to know our real costs,
> productivity, who is doing what, etc.  It will in a way be a
> partial log for a project.   I'm also hoping that it will have
> some of the phycological advantages of peer review, discussion,
> etc. as in opensource development.   I'm hoping that all this
> will come together with whups, thor and maybe even juno and
> rakim (that I think is awesome.).
>
> Why must things as basic as time spent in a company be secret?
> What could the advantages be for anyone?  I can think of none.
> We all need to realize that time isn't important but creativity,
> productivity, quality and customer satisfaction are.

Well put!  I agree wholeheartedly and you have illuminated an area where
my habitual thinking was out of tune with my personal philosophy.  I'm
grateful for the poke.

--
 Jason M. Felice
 Cronosys, LLC <http://www.cronosys.com/>