[horde] Introduction

Michael and Michele Dean mdean at kcnet.com
Mon Jan 29 17:42:02 PST 2001

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> Ah, okay. With php4, we get multiple inclusion protection built-in with
> include_once and require_once, but otherwise this sounds familiar.

Right.  And PHP3, being what it is, needs a little help.  :)

> I guess I'm still just unclear on what you have in mind as collaboration. I'm
> always happy to try and work with people that are interested with interacting
> with Horde in some way.

I left it open because of the possibilities.  I know some of these may
or may not irk someone somewhere, but they're just possibilities.  As
Keith Chayer pointed out, why keep reinventing the wheel and instead
just pool resources and talent together for a good project?

1.  Enhance DCL and replace WHUPS
2.  Enhance DCL and use a seed for WHUPS
3.  Use DCL as a seed for WHUPS
4.  Enhance DCL to play nicely with other Horde apps through an abstract
interface.  I don't know if your architecture would even support this,
or mine for that matter.  But, with the right design, anything is possible.
5.  Ignore my DCL ramblings ;-)

> To be honest, right now I personally don't really have one. I'd like it to be a
> bug/project/ticket tracking app, with hooks into Chora (our cvs viewer) so that
> you could see which cvs commit closed a particular bug - go directly to
> patches, etc. Also with links into a FAQ, so that closed problems (or open)
> would automatically show up in the relevant parts of a FAQ (and in searches).
> Stuff like that.

DCL encompasses those features and more in its scope.  Currently, I have
bug/project/ticket tracking and the FAQ system you describe partially
implemented.  DCL has an existing user base already, so there is already
an advantage to its use.

Mike