Complicated question.

Ramon Kagan rkagan at yorku.ca
Fri Mar 8 06:38:04 PST 2002

Hi,

Over the past few days I've been investigating an increase in the number
of "Page not found" errors our users have been getting.  What I have found
is that this occurs when the follwing sequence occurs.

Server <FIN, ACK>
Client <ACK>
Client Application Data
Client <FIN, ACK>
Server <ACK>
Server <RST>

Of course the application data will cause the reset at the end, since the
client already acknowledged the connection to be closed.  I was wondering
if anybody has seen this type of activity, and if so how they resolved it?
Also I'd like to know if anybody understands why the client would be
sending the App Data.  Is it being prompted by the server? Is it a client
issue only?  Any help and/or insight would be a huge welcome.

Thanks,

Ramon Kagan
York University, Computing and Network Services
Unix Team -  Intermediate System Administrator
(416)736-2100 #20263
rkagan at yorku.ca