[horde] Re: Horde/Imp LDAP-Prefs Code

KaalH! kaalh at smol.org
Thu Jun 6 12:32:20 PDT 2002

Surlignage Edwin Culp <eculp at encontacto.net>:

> Quoting KaalH! <kaalh at smol.org>:
>
> | got some fresh stuff about this :
> http://kaalh.smol.org/horde/ldap.php.diff
> |
> | When $conf['prefs']['params']['rootdn'] and $conf['prefs']['params']
> | ['username'] are not set,
> KaalH,
>
> I have all the above commented out and I haven't had any problems.  When
> and maybe why do I need an anonymous search and a rebind?  I didn't
> realize that it was broken.  Actually, I really like the bind code
> because it doesn't require a rootdn to bind.
>
> Please help me understand what I am missing here.
>
> Thanks,
>
> ed

well,

To find which DN will be used to bind the ldap server, we have several
choices :
1 - use the the rootdn (generaly when users cannot change their own entry)
2 - use the user dn
    Finding the user dn in the ldap tree require a search query.
    Searching requires binding, so I'm binding anonymously.
    Maybe add a "initial_binddn" param will be needed to perform this search
if the ldap server is configured to refuse anonymous searching / entry
retrieving.
    And finally, rebind with the user dn.

Is that what you're expected ?

kaalh