[horde] Changing Authentication Methods

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Wed Sep 4 11:56:28 PDT 2002

Quoting Rodolfo Segleau <segleaur at mechanus.org>:

> I was looking through the requirements for the next batch of users that
> will be added into the Mechanus.org infrastructure, and I was wondering
> what would the impact be if I move the authentication method from imap to
> sql at this point. I have a set of users that are authenticating against
> the imap (since they are 'full access' users - SSH, FTP, apache accounts
> along with their mail accounts), would they be affected in any way or do I
> have to recreate them within the sql database? Is there a way to tie the
> sql-added users to authenticate against the PAM module for SSH and FTP
> access?

That last bit is outside the scope of Horde, but probably. However, if you
switch auth methods, yes, you'll need to port your old users to the new
method; otherwise they will not be able to log in.

> Just trying to plan ahead. I know that the authentication methods are
> different, but would the new users have a /home/~user also and would I
> have a double management (managing user1 from Horde and from the command
> line)?

If you just create them in Horde, no; they'd only exist in Horde.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>