[horde] Horde: Usr shared apps

eculp at encontacto.net eculp at encontacto.net
Thu Dec 19 09:12:54 PST 2002

Quoting Tony Earnshaw <tonni at billy.demon.nl>:

 | People,
 |
 | Linux and CVD Horde.
 |
 | Playing about with CVS Horde with an eye to production applications. In
 | general it's *fantastic*. Often the most unexpected things are the most
 | fantastic (read "technique"), such as Eric's vacation and File Manager
 | (gollem).
 |
 | Apart from the general limits of the LDAP options (Apart from Turba),
 | the whole Horde CVS is definitely designed for an SQL backend to work
 | properly), I have only one problem at the moment.
 |
 | As an admin I can make shared objects. mnemo, nag, kronolith etc. But I
 | cannot then share them with others ("permission denied"). I would have
 | thought that by making Permissions and coupling these to shared objects,
 | that that would have been the answer. But no.
Tony,

You may want to do a cvs update if your sources are more than a few days
old.  There were some changes that fixed an issue that I had with groups.
I am certainly not an expert but if you will indulge me, I'll be glad to
share what little I have seen during my testing for the last few days.

  o- any user can create a shared object
  o- An admin can create groups and permissions
     - currently permissions from the administration menu are not
       used with the shared resources that you mention above.
       That confused me a bit, too.
     - groups of users and subgroups can be created by the admin
       that makes it easier for members who are not admins to
       create resources that will be shared with the group.
       ( no more listing of large groups for each shared resource.
         write once use many :-)  This works very well.
     - Inheritance of subgroups is what I am looking at now and
       don't quite have it yet.  I need to do some more testing.
  o- If you use virtual domains your user at domain.com can share a
     resource with user at anotherdomain.org.  Nice touch for communities
     sharing a horde installation.

If I am mistaken on any of the above, I hope someone will correct me.
It will hopefully help someone else later who is searching the mailling
lists.  There isn't a lot of documentation that I have seen.

ed