[horde] Fwd: Gettext Problem

s-beutel at gmx.de s-beutel at gmx.de
Fri Dec 27 11:00:44 PST 2002

> ----- Forwarded message from kettgun at yahoo.com -----
>     Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 16:17:57 -0800 (PST)
>     From: Ketut Gunawan <kettgun at yahoo.com>
>  Subject: Gettext Problem
>       To: faq at horde.org

Ketut,

first, after really reading the docs, a list like this is a better place to
raise a question about horde - you'll find a lot of horde users willing to
help...

> Horde Webmail is so exciting. I have been successful
> in installing IMP, but not successful to install
> Horde. So I cannot run Horde Webmail :-(

This experience seems very nice - how to be successful in installing IMP
without a running horde?

But let's come to poodle's core:

> The problem is my server does not support "Gettext" (I
> saw in test.php). I have tried to install Gettext but
> not successful yet. I used commercial webhosting and
> having access to root directory, mySql database,
> phpMyAdmin, etc. But I think I do not have access to
> intall Gettext (?) since I use Control Panel to
> install any software for our website.

Which control panel do you mean?

> I have been
> successful in installing many database driven scripts
> (e.g. PHP-Nuke, Postnuke, Advance Guestbook, etc).
>
> My question is:
>
> **Where should I install Gettext? At Horde directory,
> root directory, or somewhere else?  Can I install it
> as a directory and how to connect to Horde?

The link included in the error message should tell you much about gettext
functionality: http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/gettext.html
Furthermore, please read your /horde/docs/install. Gettext is a prerequisite
for horde (as well as an OS, a web server and php at least). For horde is
written in php, you need gettext compiled into php. As far as you are able to
configurate your server yourself, you should be able to activate gettext
support in php; otherwise ask the admin. This is a link for understanding the
co-operation between php and gettext:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.gettext.php

As you don't say anything about the system you're running (OS, PHP version
etc.), we cannot give you more detailled hints how to install gettext.
Especially, there is no choice how to install it as directory or so - simply have
gettext in your system and compile it in your php - the error gives you the
configure command, too: --with-gettext (Strictly spoken, for any further
question, referring to a gettext or php faq might be a better choice; googling a bit
might be useful, too).

> If I can't solve this problem, I hope the future
> release of Horde can include a script as an
> alternative of Gettext support, or Gettext files are
> included in Horde package (for easy intallment :-))

This won't happen, for (a) gettext as a GNU project is widely spread, easy
to get and well documented - say, it's common; and (b) as it's about to become
a standard for multilangual support, it's _really_ a good idea to have it
activated: certainly horde will not be the only software needing it.

> -----------------
>        a. Gettext support. (--with-gettext)
>
>           Gettext is the GNU Translation Project's
> localization library.
>           Horde uses gettext to provide local
> translations of text
>           displayed by applications. Information on
> obtaining the
>           gettext package is available at
>

> http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/gettext.html
>
>           (See also note below on configuring translations.)

Best effort,

Sebastian