[horde] snapshot installation questions

Tony Earnshaw tonni at billy.demon.nl
Sun Jan 5 22:57:08 PST 2003

søn, 2003-01-05 kl. 17:59 skrev Rob Brandt:

> I've having quite a few less errors this time, so it seems to have
> done some good.  The test page still says I don't have mime-magic
> enabled, and it still says I have the wrong version of pear
> installed.  But I am continuing on until someone can help me with
> those problems.  Perhaps the problems are related to that?  I
> don't know.  Here goes:

Those who know say that if the pear version is that suggested by Horde
(4.1?), that in spite of the warnings it will work. I downloaded CVS
pear and there is only one warning - about File

> Horde installation went pretty smoothly.  Administration options
> are all there (previously missing), but I'm not able to add any
> permissions, groups or users.  It says that adding and listing
> users are disabled.  When I try to add groups or permissions, it
> says that it "was not created: DB Error: no such field.".  I've
> looked for a script to create databases for these, but don't see
> any.  I'm running mysql.  FWIW, authentication is imap.

I'm sure you know you have to edit horde/config/conf.php and
registry.php by hand, If you want to do user admin, you'll have to go
through the grind of setting up an SQL database. Imp won't let you. Do
not choose ldap for authorization - it's not complete. You'll have to
add the first horde_users user by hand, give him an MD5 coded password,
not crypt. phpMyAdmin (www.phpmyadmin.net) is your friend.

> I uploaded IMP, and when in to Horde configuration to set it up.
> The first time I tried to save prefs, it reported that conf.php
> didn't exist.  Sure enough, no conf.php or conf.php.dist came with
> the distribution.  There was a conf.xml however.  I manually
> created this file, set permissions for it to be writable by the
> apache group, and went back to horde/configure.  This time, it
> created a file, but I wasn't able to set any values.  In the page
> I set all the values I wanted, but they couldn't be saved.  No
> matter what I do, I cannot save configuration settings for IMP.

You really need the SQL backend. If you don't have an SQL database, get
MySQL. Compiling is a cinch and you get the latest version. You'll have
to learn and understand basic SQL if you don't already know it.

> I did go on to IMP to see how it would perform without
> configuration, and it's mostly OK.  I got all kinds of errors for
> missing "max from length" and "max subject lenght".  I added these
> values to the conf.php manually, and it works.  Dates don't show
> up, because I don't know what to enter for values.  Because of no
> configuration ability, I cannot set folder values and such.

See above.

Best,

Tony

--