[horde] Snapshots/RELENG

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Tue Mar 4 10:02:40 PST 2003

Quoting Jonathan Hutchins <hutchins at tarcanfel.org>:

> Actually, the closest I can find to an answer is:
>
>      http://www.horde.org/source/modules.php
>
> That shows which tags go with what modules, but it still doesn't answer
> "What
> are RELENG, RELENG_1, RELENG_2, RELENG_3?"  HEAD looks like it's the same
> as "CVS", the most current modification, STABLE_1_2 isn't too hard to
> figure
> out, but should probably just be STABLE for consistency's sake.
>

> Quoting Carl Thompson <cet at carlthompson.net>:
>
> > This link does not seem to answer the question, Chuck!  I think the
> link
> > you meant to post was
> >
> >     http://www.horde.org/source/

Cut'n'pasted from exactly this url:

Our branches and release engineering can seem a little convoluted at first,
but follows some pretty simple rules. When you check something out of CVS,
by default, you get the HEAD branch. HEAD is always the latest development
code. It may be undocumented, it may be broken, it may cause tofu to turn
purple. You never know.

The branches that hold release versions of applications - code that is
documented, tested, and recommended for production use - are named RELENG_*,
where * is the major version of the application in question. So, the release
branch for IMP 3.x is RELENG_3. The release branch for Horde 2.x is
RELENG_2. Note that this doesn't give you a way to distinguish between IMP
3.0 and IMP 3.1 - they live in the same CVS branch, because one supercedes
the other. However, we do tag releases, so you can check out IMP 3.0 with
the IMP_3_0 tag.

There are also some old STABLE_*_* branches available for Horde and IMP,
which pre-date the current release engineering practice. No new branches
will be created with these tags, and you shouldn't need to work with them,
but they are relatively self-explanatory in what they refer to: Horde's
STABLE_1_2 is Horde 1.2.x, etc.

Jan.