[horde] Errors/issues getting Horde framework going...

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Sat May 3 21:00:10 PDT 2003

Quoting Jeff Donnici <jeff at donnici.com>:

> I guess I must not be getting the HEAD version. My understanding was that
> I could go to http://snaps.horde.org and then go into /LATEST to get the
> current stuff that's in CVS (without having to wait for CVS to actually
> pull it down file by file). In that directory, I see two files

Yes.

> horde-2003-05-03.tar.gz  -- I'm assuming this to be the HEAD version
> horde-RELENG-2003-05-03.tar.gz -- I'm assuming this to be RELENG

Yes, as you say, one is HEAD and the other RELENG.

> Note that I *have* used CVS with a simple command line of :
>
> cvs co horde
>
> ... and the same thing happens -- secret.php is the older version, so I'm
> sure there are other files as well.

Age really doesn't mean anything.

> When I go to http://cvs.horde.org/cvs.php/horde/lib/Secret.php, I think I
> see what's happening.
>
> There is a version 1.33 of that file, which seems to be the most current
> VERSION (i.e. highest rev number). There is also a 1.12.2.13, which is an
> older version (by rev number), but is actually a newer FILE.

Since RELENG and HEAD are completely independent, sometimes the newest
files might be in HEAD, other times they might be RELENG, sometimes they
will be the same age in both.  Newest or oldest really doesn't matter.
You just need the latest version from the branch you want.  Don't mix
branches.

> So, it looks like I can be assured of getting the latest *HEAD* version by
> using this command line:
>
> cvs co -r HEAD horde
>
> Is that correct?

Yes, that is correct.

> If so, can you tell me what exactly is done to compile the non-RELENG file
> that's in /latest on snaps.horde.org?  In general, just grabbing a single
> archive is more convenient than the CVS checkout process, but I also want
> to make sure I have the most current stuff.

The snapshots are a CVS checkout done daily.  They reflect the state of
CVS at that time.  They are done for both branches.  Since they are an
automated process, they may or may not work.  That is, they could be
generated during a commit, or half way through a series of commits, etc.
So since they are non-synchronized snapshots, any given one may work, or
may bomb.

The moral is, if you want to use CVS or the snapshots, sign up for the
cvs mailing list.  At least then you will know when things are being
updated, when they are broken, etc.

Generally the RELENG branch shouldn't be in a broken state, so it is fairly
safe to use it from CVS, and fairly safe even from snapshot (though the
snap could be made during a commit and hence be bad).  HEAD code is often
broken, and hence can't be depended upon.  However, if you follow the cvs
mailing list, you'll generally know if the code is broken or not (at least
major, on-purpose breakage, or widely reported breakages).

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!