[horde] 100,000+ users - Thanks, + more questions

Henry Blackman h.blackman at chester.ac.uk
Wed Jun 4 01:03:58 PDT 2003

Hi,

I run Horde (but only IMP) at a University in the UK.  We have around 15,000
users, split into 3 groups, staff, staff at another campus and students.  In
all there are around 12,000 students on 1 server, and about 300 staff on
another with the remainder on the final server.

The server with 2,700 staff (on the main campus) runs busy all the time.  It
has the web server and the mail server all on the same box, and we have
around 130 users running at the same time with IMP open all day.  The box is
a dual PIII-1.13GHz with 512MB RAM and 2 120GB IDE disks with home areas
distributed across the 2 disks on seperate IDE channels.  It occasionally
gets very busy.

On the other hand we have the students (12,000 of them) on 1 much lower spec
server, but if we have 30 concurrent users, that's busy and the server does
just fine.  Again it's an all in 1 server doing web serving and mail.

The size of your servers will very much depend on the usage patterns of the
users.  I would recommend multiple server, or at least high speed SCSI
disks.  I've found SCSI disk arrays to perform better in a web environment
as they seem to be able to read small files quicker than IDE disks.  The
bottleneck for us is disk speed, and very rarely processor power.  I'll be
investing in more RAM for the box to boost performance, and if it doesn't
improve we'll certainly split the home areas across multiple servers for
sure.

Out of interest, we run IMAP Proxy to improve speed to the IMAP server, and
that really makes a difference on the staff server were people are
constantly reading, or browsing mail.  In addition we run PHP Accelerator
(www.php-accelerator.co.uk) which is a free "version" of Zend Cache.  I'm
sure it's not quite as good, but it makes a noticable difference for us.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Henry