[horde] Pesky warning message on Horde login screen.

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue Jun 10 14:51:40 PDT 2003

Quoting "Michael P. Hilty" <mikeh at trilogygrafx.com>:

>      I have been running into this warning message on a recent Horde
> implementation, and I was wondering if you guys could help me figure this one
> out:

I've asked this several times, but never got an answer:

What is it about this message that people can't figure out?  It is an
FAQ for sure, but the answer is 99% right in the message, so I'm not
sure why it is an FAQ.

> Warning: Unknown(): Your script possibly relies on a session side-effect
> which
> existed until PHP 4.2.3. Please be advised that the session extension does
> not
> consider global variables as a source of data, unless register_globals is
> enabled. You can disable this functionality and this warning by setting
> session.bug_compat_42 or session.bug_compat_warn to off, respectively. in
> Unknown on line 0

Do as it says.  Edit your php.ini file (see the phpinfo() output from
test.php if you need help locating your php.ini file) and add either
or both of:

session.bug_compat_42 = Off

or

session.bug_compat_warn = Off

Then (and this is the part missing from the above error message) restart
your web server so it reloads the php.ini file.

Alternatives, which I DO NOT advise, are downgrade your php or upgrade your
Horde apps.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics