[horde] new tasks/events/...

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 11 12:44:50 PDT 2003

Quoting Christoph Schindler <e9525429 at student.tuwien.ac.at>:

> > something right...  I've done the cvs update, but not the data migrations
> > yet.  So probably, in my case, totally my fault.
>
> Ditto, I'm sorry.

Welcome to the crowd :)

> But that brings up another question: how was I supposed to know that i
> had to migrate anything?

If you are using the CVS HEAD, you should be on the cvs and dev mailing lists.
Most things about migrations and such are posted there.

> I'm already busy with reading the mailing lists
> for about 1h a day, cvs updates take so long the code is obsolete the
> moment i finish (because i don't want to miss any changed config/*.dist
> files) and I at least try to read any CHANGES files, but still this
> major thing has slipped by me... uh?

CVS HEAD is poorly documented, and the cvs/dev list is you only hope.
When I do a cvs update, using unix, I go to horde/ and do a:

cvs update 2>&1 | tee /tmp/horde.log

which logs all the output to a file.  Then I do a:

grep "^C" /tmp/horde.log

to check for conflicts and a

grep "\.dist" /tmp/horde.log

to check for config file changes.

> To be honest: I feel rather overwhelmed by this project, even though I
> have only a handful of the modules installed.

I don't feel that way about the release versions, but that has very much
become true of the HEAD version.  That's the price to pay for running HEAD
though...

> Is there a source of need-to-follow-procedures for people who want to
> keep up with cvs head that i have not found yet?

Just read the dev/cvs list, and watch for conflicts/configurations.
Other than that it pretty much works ;)

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics