[horde] I'm at a bit of a loss

Justin Ainsworth justin at sullust.org
Wed Jul 30 12:46:09 PDT 2003

Okay, I've got the horde.php file set up with the proper configuration
(had the same problem Adrian and I imagine every other new user has with
not knowing where the auth stuff is).  It appears to be pulling from the
database properly with no errors.  I manually added a user to the
horde_users table with a plaintext username and password.  Unfortunately
horde won't let me log in with that username/pass.  I checked the code
and it looks like horde is running the password through the MD5 function
then checking it's validity.  I can only assume that somewhere during
the account creation process the password entered is encrypted with
MD5.  I've tried to replicate that process and insert that into the
password field with no luck.

Any tips on how to create my first user?

Two other notes:

My goal is to set up a chora server for CVS stuff and not much else.
I'm not really worried about a webmail system or any of the other
(apprently) common uses for horde.

Also, Eric mentioned that authentication could be done using smb
authentication.  I don't see how to do that anywhere in the horde.php or
various auth files.  That seems like it would be the most painless way
to get things going if I could just get it to work.

Finally, this is all for internal use (the machine is not available to
the public net) so if there is a way to bypass horde authentication
entirely (I realize I'll still need to do cvs authentication) and still
retain all the functionality of chora that would be a perfectly
acceptable solution.

Thanks for the help,
Justin Ainsworth