[horde] IMP newbie question

Eric P. Esterle eesterle at chartertn.net
Fri Sep 12 14:03:12 PDT 2003

Hello all,

I have a linux box running Redhat 9, Sendmail 8.12.9, and Apache.  All of
those are working fine but I have a newbie question concerning IMP and
IMAP.  I have used the excellent IMP guide at
http://www.geocities.com/oliversl/imp/  as a reference.  Specifically, what
is the relationship between IMP, IMAP, POP3, and Sendmail?

Before I go any further here are my configuration tests which list the
current state of my setup.

http://edog.mine.nu/horde/test.php
http://edog.mine.nu/horde/imp/test.php

My intentions are to use my existing Sendmail server and POP3.  I am
wishing to authenticate once through IMP and MYSQL.  MYSQL is up and
running and all of the tables have been created.

Basically what happens is that I cannot log in, bad username and password.
------------horde.php--------- I have tried changing this to POP3:110
$conf['auth']['params']['dsn'] = '{edog.mine.nu:143/imap}INBOX';

server="localhost" user="edog" mailbox="{localhost:143/imap}INBOX"

bool(false)

I am thinking that I have totally not set up the IMAP part correctly.  I
was trying to get it to use the existing Sendmail POP3.

I appreciate any help.  Thanks.

--Eric Esterle