[horde] Best Platform and pre-requisites

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
Thu Sep 25 06:31:12 PDT 2003

At the very least, you should consider using Cyrus imapd as IMAP server.
It is currently the most advanced IMAP server on the market, IMHO.  It
have many feature not usually found in its competitor :

- ACL : an intriguing concept to play with (you can give access to some
  of your mail folder to other users).  CVS HEAD of IMP have support for
  managing them.

- The Sieve mail filtering language : a readable replacement for
  procmail.  It is supported in Horde via the Ingo application, and is a
  much cleaner way to implement vacation and forwarding to what the
  account module currently offer IMHO.

- A very flexible authentication system.  It can authenticate against
  just about anything available.  It is somewhat to figure out and
  configure, but that's the price to pay for flexibility (if you use
  Simon Matter's rpm, it will work out of the box).  I personnally
  authenticate my user against an Active Directory via Kerberos (from
  Cyrus imapd running on Linux).

- A quota system that don't depend on filesystem quota.

There is many more feature, but I don't have time to discuss each of
them in detail.  Try it for yourself !