[horde] Recent Horde complaints

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
Thu Dec 4 11:16:31 PST 2003

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 09:30:06AM -0800, Andrew Morgan wrote:
> We're talking about basic system administration skills here.  Horde is not
> a point-and-click Windows application.  Most useful server applications
> have reasonable defaults but require some form of configuration to tailor
> the application for your site's needs.

That's the problem IMHO.  Horde *require* manual configuration, which in
turn require user to read documentation (something that is very often
skimmed).

What would be required is an already configured package.  I could see
Linux distributors building a package suited for their distribution,
pre-configured with reasonnable and functionnal default, dependancy
resolved and administrivia (table creation , etc) taken care of.  I
think Debian provide such a thing, but I could not search their package
repository today.  I don't think it would be the Horde project
responsability to provide these packages; that would have to done by a
third-party IMHO.

Also, I think many newbie currently trying to set up Horde would be
better advised to use something else.  IMP is a very complete and
complex webmail package, but if you only need plain old webmail, I
guess Squirrelmail could do the job with less hassle (or so I heard).
There is nothing wrong with that; Horde is meant to be complete,
flexible and extensible.  The downside is more complexity at the
configuration level.

Anyway, just my 0.02$ ...

http://www.LinuxQuebec.com       etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com