[horde] Recent Horde complaints

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Dec 4 11:22:04 PST 2003

Quoting Andrew Morgan <morgan at orst.edu>:

> Am I wrong in thinking that there are people attempting to run Horde that
> aren't qualified?

Yes, but that is true of any computer program (including the OS like
windows, linux, etc).

> Maybe others have more patience than I do, but it sounds like a simple
> RTFM is needed in a lot of cases.

Yes, in which case I usually point them to the required M to R.

> If you can't read the INSTALL document
> first, we're not helping you.

I'll still *try* to help them, at least by pointing them to the INSTALL
docs.

> And if you can't figure out how to satisfy
> Horde's dependencies or get Apache and PHP configured appropriately, you
> shouldn't be running Horde.

I don't think that is a fair statement.  I know why you feel that way, but
I don't think it is a fair statement.

> Frankly, I'm amazed that some of you are still answering questions like,
> "I can't login to Horde", or "What is an IMAP server".

Someone has to do it.  The main problems are:

* People don't know how to ask questions so as to get a fast, accurate answer.
* People don't know how to search for an FAQ, docs in the install tree, mailing
  list archives, or even how to effectively use a search engine.

If I could teach the world to ask properly formed questions, and how to search
the web for information in an effective manor, then the questions to the
mailing lists would be cut by about a half.

Alas, I always fail at this (in particular in getting people to ask a
reasonable question).

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics