[horde] Progress with "You must configure a Category backend to use Horde." error

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Jan 11 10:02:25 PST 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-11 at 10:45, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
> Quoting Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>:
>
> > as a further follow up - and I'm stretching my abilities here - I won't
> > be hurt if you tell me that I don't know what I'm doing...
>
> I still find it a bit amazing that you expect to be walked through using
> development software. Which, incidentally, works fine in most cases, but you
> still need to be willing and able to troubleshoot your own problems a bit when
> you're broken your configuration. That's why it's *development*. Developer
> branch. Etc...
---
a point of clarification - I don't ** expect ** anything like a walk
through. I tried, I tried hard - showed where I was and asked if anyone
could help - when help didn't come, I went backwards.

I am perfectly willing, perhaps somewhat incapable of troubleshooting my
own problems if they are beyond the what I would expect to be normal
user configuration.
---
> > I added one line within the function that checked for category
> > permissions to make certain the the value is passed...
> >
> >             global $conf;
> > new line->  $conf['category']['driver']='sql';
> >
> > this new line becomes line 48 in horde.head/lib/Perms.php
> >
> > which resulted in a different error, interesting?
> >               A fatal error has occurred
> >
> >   Required 'phptype' not specified in categories SQL configuration.
> >   The file /var/www/html/horde.head/config/../config/conf.php should
> > contain a $conf['storage']['params']['phptype'] setting.
> >
> > but this is the line in horde.head/config/conf.php
> > $conf['sql']['phptype'] = 'mysql';
>
> $conf['sql']['phptype'] is not the same thing as
> $conf['storage']['params']['phptype'], and while we should perhaps be
> inheriting those settings, there are some apps where we don't yet, and this is
> obviously one of them. So you need to look at your *application's*
> configuration and see what's missing.
---
this is one of the gaps in the documentation that I don't quite get and
figured that it would become obvious once I got past the intitial setup.
Apparently, there is no conf.php in imp/config but rather a conf.xml and
by my read of imp/docs/INSTALL, I am not to configure imp as
authentication initially so that I can configure using the
administration module of horde. Thus, I have not made much effort at
configuring IMP's config files - I did set up imp/config/servers.php
just in case I could get that for (imap authentication) but haven't
gotten that far.

> Of course, you still have a problem with your Horde config, since the line you
> added isn't necessary.
---
indeed

Thanks,