[horde] Re: Questions about the redesign

nmollring at cennecs.org nmollring at cennecs.org
Wed Feb 9 23:06:23 PST 2005

Quoting Shashank Tripathi <admin at shanx.com>:

> I use Opera8.
>
> (1) First, the new left frame for folder etc is totally useless for me,
> especially because the JS that expands/collapses the "Mail" icon
> doesn't work in Opera.
Just downloaded the latest stable version of Opera and it works fine. Version
7.54

> (2) Second, and more importantly, I used to use my own CSS for accessing
> Horde on my site. It used to appear like a text-only page with all the
> unnecessary coloring etc removed. I wish I had a screenshot to show (my
> host has already upgraded to new Horde interface) but here's my CSS:
>

> body, td, table, option, select, input, h1,h2,h3,h4,h5,h6 {line-height:
> 1.18em}
> input, option, select {font-family: Verdana}
> img {display: none;}
> input[type="image"] {display: block}
> object, embed {display: none}
> .answered {background: #eee}
> pre,tt,code{font-family: Courier; font-size: 13px; color:#000;}
>

> Now, because the top navigation (Inbox, Empty Trash, etc) is in a DIV,
> these navigation items are listed in a vertical line. My first INBOX
> message starts more than half-way down the page. Is it possible to put
> it in a TD just like before? This will ensure consistent interface in
> many browsers, and for everyone who uses their own CSS to strip colors
> etc from HTML.

Without your custom CSS it works just fine in Opera, Firefox, Mozilla, and IE.
I don't think Horde/IMP was designed to work with your custom CSS in
mind. Look
through the themes, if you don't find one you like, build a custom one.

> (3) What's the purpose of the redesign? I don't see much new anyway
> other than a needless left frame. I can see why it could be marginally
> useful to some users but it's not even elegantly done. It just eats up
> screenspace.
IMO, the upgrade has many, many new features (I couldn't list them
all), the new
sidebar works perfectly, and overall the rebuild was needed.  Horde and it's
apps are the cadillac of webmail/groupware, maybe you need something more
stripped down like Squirrelmail(nothing wrong with that, I have users that use
Squirrelmail too).  You could also just host your own horde server so
you could
keep running the older version.  The 'redesign' has been a work in
progress for
a long time.